Nov 10, 2011

Bridesmaid Indecision

After a bit more bridesmaid dress shopping, I've narrowed things down to two final choices. But it's hard to decide on which look to go with, as they're very different and I think the decision may swing the overall concept of the wedding in a certain direction. I'm torn because one is pretty, safe, and traditional, while the other is more my style but also more of a risk. Somehow, I find myself weirdly afraid to do something that is exactly in line with my inspiration board.
Here's the first, Alvina Valenta #9866. It's beautiful and classic, and the girls like it, but it's sort of typical bridesmaidy. I would do it in a pale champagne taffeta:
It's very elegant, traditional, and formal. It seems that whenever I make wedding decisions, I pick things that are elegant, traditional, and formal.
But let's recall my inspiration board:


It's more like elegant, romantic, and vintage. And I feel like this dress suits that concept better:


Plus it has the added bonus of being $100 cheaper and genuinely rewearable, though those advantages are tempered by the drawback of being harder to alter- you can't cut through that lace.

So there's the dilemma. Crazy lady that I am, I'm going to buy the lace one tomorrow and bring it to my dress shop to see it next to my dress. I'm hoping it will look either shockingly awful or really, really awesome. That'll make my decision easier!

Which do you guys like better? Does anyone else feel weirdly afraid to "go for it" with some element of the wedding?

5 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about being afraid to go with what you want, or try and honor your "theme" or feel you want for your wedding. We are going for a vintage old broadway feel, but my bridesmaid dresses are orange. When you think of vintage glamour orange isn't the first thing that comes to mind. So I say go with that you like! They are both beautiful and will look great. I can't wait to see which one you pick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the Nordstrom's dress. That said:
    Some things to consider: will the darker ivory clash with your dress (i.e. if it's a bright white color). Will any of your girls need serious alterations done to it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do like the second one but agree with above, will it clash with your dress? You are probably doing the right thing by buying one and comparing to your dress, I just hope you will be able to return it if it doesn't work out..lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the first one more as a bridesmaid dress, but holding the second one up to your dress is the way to go! That's how I picked my bridesmaid dresses, I had our sales consultant hold up my dress with my girls in the top 2 choices on either side. If it works with your dress, I say go for the second one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love dress #2 but I understand what you mean about not being able to alter the dress yikes! Good luck choosing!

    ReplyDelete