Mar 22, 2011

Invitation Making Class

My mom and I love to find random things to do together. Sometimes we check out trendy restaurants in the city, to see if they’re as good as people say. Sometimes we go to wine tastings at local wineries, other times we spend hours in the Lenox outlet, ogling the china. (These activities make us sound a lot fancier than we actually are!) This particular weekend, we took the Wedding Suites class at Paper Source. It's a two hour class that goes through some of the basics of creating your own wedding invitations, and it was really fun. I'm not going to DIY my invites, but I do plan to maybe do some other elements, so I definitely felt like I learned how to add a little professionalism to whatever projects I do. The class was $30, which can add up when combined with all the stuff you’ll undoubtedly buy. It was a fun way to spend the afternoon together, could even be something cute to do with your bridesmaids!
 
Some class highlights:
We learned some basic envelope lining techniques, as well as some cute ideas to decorate the liner.
As you can see, I had a little trouble using that particular punch, but you get the idea.


We learned some cute ideas for placecards, like this one below that uses a lace punch to dress up the edges.
Although my handwriting's not really the prettiest thing to emboss.

We also used the punch to decorate favor boxes. This looks really professional but was SO easy, and the Paper Source brand favor boxes fold up pretty intuitively.

Finally we learned some stamping and embossing techniques. Not my first time doing this, but definitely worthwhile. I got to experiment with different products, and also with clear powder, which was pretty cool. Here’s a little something they helped me to design for my place cards. I used a stamp to make the leaves, covered them with gold embossing powder, and then used the little bit of glitter to add some dimension. I love this idea!
 
And, obviously, I came home with a bag full of new purchases!
Pictured:
  • Bone folder
  • Envelope liner templates
  • 2 rubber stamps
  • Gold and black embossing powder
  • Ivory note cards
  • Clear embossing ink
All of these items are obviously from Paper Source. Pics are personal, and the punches used in the class were Martha Stewart, also available at Paper Source. 

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! The Bone folder is my favorite secret weapon in my craft arsenal. You will use it for EVERYTHING.

    ReplyDelete